Did you know that the overall number of Initial VET students in Spain in the 2017/18 academic year was nearly six times larger than in 2007/08? VET programs in Spain are based on learning outcomes with a strong focus on work-based learning: 2 000 hours over two academic years with a compulsory work placement module in a business enterprise.
VET diploma programs are offered not only full-time but also on a part-time, modular basis, an option designed to allow adult learners that have to manage both family and professional lives. In addition, centers that provide traditional face to face VET training also offer distance learning to promote adult education.
By visiting some of the best VET institutions in the Barcelona area and the businesses (that are part of the major leading sectors in the area: tourism and hospitality, art and technology) that they work with, participants in this course will get a significant insight into the Spanish system of vocational education. This course will help you to understand how the educational system in Spain works, specifically focusing on vocational training, career guidance, and dual training.
Whatever sector you are interested in, we can arrange visits specifically designed for you. By the end of the course, you will also become familiar with all the opportunities offered by EU-funded programs specifically designed for VET teachers/learners. Moreover, there will be the chance to make connections between principals and participants during the school visits to initiate future Erasmus+ projects.
Concept by: David Baroni
Please note: As schools usually close in May and open up again in September, we may not able to offer site visits to VET schools during summer.
The course will help the participants to:
- Understand how the Spanish VET system works;
- Make the most of EU-funded opportunities for VET teachers/learners;
- Understand new professional skills;
- Enhance the collaboration between companies and educational institutions in order to foster educational skills;
- Implement the vocational and training system abroad and how to adapt it to the different educational environments.
Day 1 – Course introduction and intro to the Spanish Education System
- Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities;
- Icebreaker activities;
- Description of the fundamentals of the education system in Spain.
Intro to the Spanish Education System
- VET in Spain;
- Professional orientation and dual training.
Day 2 – School visits*
- Visit VET schools in Barcelona.
Day 3 – Implementation of effective and quality dual training programs
- How to implement the dual system in the most successful way with the help of the best techniques and tools;
- Understand the importance of coordination and support from interested parties.
Day 4 – European Union’s opportunities for VET schools
- Sharing of best practices: similar programs in other countries;
- Discovering the opportunities offered by the European Union for VET school/institutions;
- Is there any common area in participants’ interests? Workshop drafting cooperation projects.
Day 5 – Companies visits
- Visits companies in Barcelona.
Day 6 – Course closure
- Course evaluation round-up of acquired competencies, feedback, and discussion;
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance;
- Excursion and other external cultural activities.
*Please note: As schools usually close in May and open up again in September, we may not able to offer site visits to schools during summer.