Did you know that the overall number of Initial VET students in Spain in 2017/18 academic year was nearly six times larger than in 2007/08? VET programmes in Spain are based on learning outcomes with a strong focus on work-based learning: 2 000 hours over two academic years with a compulsory work placement module in a business enterprise. VET diploma programmes are offered not only full-time, but also on a part-time modular basis, an option designed to allow adult learners that have to manage both family and professional lives. In addition, centres that provide traditional face to face VET training also offer distance learning to promote adult education.
By visiting some of the best VET institutions in the Barcelona area and the businesses (that are part of the major leading sectors in the area: tourism and hospitality, art and technology) that they work with, participants in this course will get a significant insight into the Spanish system of vocational education. This course will help you to understand how the educational system in Spain works, specifically focusing on: vocational training, career guidance and dual training.
Whatever sector you are interested in, we can arrange visits specifically designed for you. By the end of the course, you will also become familiar with all the opportunities offered by EU-funded programmes specifically designed for VET teachers/learners. Moreover, there will be the chance to make connections between principals and participants during the school visits to initiate future Erasmus+ projects.
The course will help the participants to:
- Understand how the Spanish VET system works;
- Make the most of EU-funded opportunities for VET teachers/learners;
- Understand new professional skills;
- Enhance the collaboration between companies and educational institutions in order to foster educational skills;
- Implement the vocational and training system abroad and how to adapt it to the different educational environments.
The schedule describes likely activities but may differ significantly based on the requests of the participants, and the trainer delivering the specific session. Course modifications are subject to the trainer’s discretion. If you would like to discuss a specific topic, please indicate it at least 4 weeks in advance.
Day 1 – Course introduction and intro to the Spanish Education System
- Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities;
- Icebreaker activities;
- Description of the fundamentals of the education system in Spain.
Intro to the Spanish Education System
- VET in Spain
- Professional orientation and dual training
Day 2 – School visits
- Visit VET schools in Barcelona.
Day 3 – Implementation of effective and quality dual training programs
- How to implement the dual system in the most successful way with the help of the best techniques and tools;
- Understand the importance of coordination and support from interested parties.
Day 4 – European Union’s opportunities for VET schools
- Sharing of best practices: similar programs in other countries;
- Discovering the opportunities offered by the European Union for VET school/institutions;
- Is there any common area in participants’ interests? Workshop drafting cooperation projects.
Day 5 – Companies visits
- Visits companies in Barcelona
Day 6 – Course closure
- Course evaluation round-up of acquired competencies, feedback, and discussion;
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance;
- Excursion and other external cultural activities.