School leaders and principals face multiple challenges nowadays. They need to manage budget constraints, adapt to changing educational policies and mandates, and incorporate technology and digital learning… what unifies all of them is managing people and relations.
Transformational leadership has gained increasing popularity in recent years due to its emphasis on inspiring and empowering followers to achieve their potential and bring about positive change.
The course will explore the theory and practice of transformational leadership, as well as its role in shaping more cohesive school communities.
Participants will discover the key principles and characteristics of transformational leadership. They will discuss how to develop a vision and communicate effectively as well as how to inspire followers to take their own responsibility for its development.
Participants will also practice emotional intelligence, active listening, and empathy within the framework of Non-Violent Communication. This will help them create connections with followers and build strong relationships with them.
Finally, the course will explain how to apply the principles of the growth mindset to create a culture of innovation and growth as well as to motivate and inspire employees to achieve their goals.
By the end of the course, participants will have a deeper understanding of the theory and practice of transformational leadership. They will feel more confident in connecting their leadership to their values, strengthening relationships with their followers, and creating a culture of growth in their school.
The course will help the participants to:
- Define the concepts of leadership and management;
- Identify different leadership styles.
- Understand the principles behind transformational leadership;
- Define their school values and develop a vision for their school;
- Create an action plan for achieving their vision;
- Understand the importance of motivation and satisfaction for growing professionals;
- Understand how emotional intelligence impacts leadership;
- Develop conflict management skills;
- Develop active listening and empathy skills;
- Provide constructive feedback.
Day 1 – Course introduction
- Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities;
- Icebreaker activities;
- Presentations of the participants’ schools.
Introduction to transformational leadership
- Leadership and management: an introduction;
- Different styles of leadership;
- Group discussion and reflection on personal leadership styles;
- Transformational leadership: key principles and characteristics.
Day 2 – Values, visions, and communication
- Define your (school) values;
- Developing a vision and an action plan;
- Communicating your school vision effectively to followers;
- Group activity: developing a shared vision for a hypothetical school.
Day 3 – Understanding and motivating employees
- Motivation and satisfaction;
- Rising motivation through professional development/career plan;
- Emotional intelligence.
Day 4 – Building relationships
- Conflict management and non-violent communication (NVC)
- Feelings and needs;
- Building strong relationships with followers through active listening and empathy.
Day 5 – Creating a culture of innovation and growth
- The Growth Mindset;
- Providing constructive feedback;
- Creating a culture of innovation and growth.
Day 6 – Course closure and cultural activities
- Course evaluation: round-up of acquired competencies, feedback, and discussion;
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance;
- Excursion and other external cultural activities.