As teachers, it’s not always easy to initiate and maintain communication with students’ families. But healthy parent-teacher relationships are essential for our students’ success.
This course helps teachers identify strategies for initiating and sustaining effective communication with parents and families of students. We’ll examine research showing the benefits of parent and family engagement in a child’s learning, and we’ll develop our own approach for promoting a positive learning environment at home.
Concept by: Marco Fenici
The course will help the participants to:
- Identify communication barriers and develop strategies for effective communication with parents and families;
- Create your own outreach strategy for connecting with parents and families of students;
- Assist students and families in creating positive learning environments at home.
Day 1 – Course introduction
- Introduction to the course, the school, and external activities;
- Icebreaker activities;
- Getting to know each other.
Let’s get started
- First steps for building a healthy relationship with a student’s family;
- Swapping perspectives activity – try on their shoes;
- Exploring your comfort zone.
Day 2 – Active listening and conflict management
- Active listening games;
- Conflict management strategies;
- Parent-teacher roleplay.
Day 3 – Parent engagement
- Studies showing the influence of parents and families on children’s learning;
- Adverse learning environments: Sensitivity and awareness training;
- Tools for breaking down barriers to learning.
Day 4 – Diversity and inclusion at school
- How diverse is your school? How inclusive is your school?
- Understanding unconscious bias;
- Building parent and family support networks.
Day 5 – Creating safe spaces for communication
- How to create a “safe space” for parent-teacher communication;
- Developing your own approach;
Day 6 – Course closure & cultural activities
- Course evaluation: round-up of acquired competencies, feedback, and discussion;
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance;
- Excursion and other external cultural activities.
The schedule describes likely activities but may differ significantly based on the trainer delivering the specific session and the requests of the participants.
If you would like to discuss a specific topic, please indicate it at least 4 weeks in advance. Course modifications are subject to the trainer’s discretion.
The number and schedule of the cultural activities depend on the location, not the course; further information is available on each location webpage. The trainer will send you the definitive course schedule approximately two weeks before the course.