Teachers often lack the time or the capacity to keep up with the rapid pace of change in Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs).
Artificial Intelligence (AI), in particular, is a quickly growing sector in the ICTs that is promising a revolution in many fields, including education.
While AI has great potential in enhancing student learning outcomes, there is a need for teachers to be trained in the effective implementation of AI in the classroom.
How can schoolteachers learn to use AI effectively with their students?
The course will introduce participants to AI in education and provide strategies and knowledge to make AI an ally of teachers and learning, rather than a threat to them.
During the course, participants will learn about the benefits of using AI in the classroom, as well as its potential risks. Participants will also gain hands-on experience with AI tools such as Chat GPT for language practice and conversation simulations, as well as AI assessment and feedback tools.
Additionally, participants will learn about other AI applications such as PowerPoint Speaker Coach for developing communication skills, Perplexity for self-directed learning, Yippity for generating assessments, Grammarly for enhancing students’ writing ability, and more.
Moreover, the course will also guide participants in creating a student contract for using AI-generated content in assignments and implementing it in the classroom effectively. Finally, participants will discuss the ethical considerations that come with using AI in education.
They will evaluate the use of AI in education and make informed decisions about its implementation in their own teaching practice.
By the end of the course, participants will have gained practical knowledge and strategies for using AI tools, creating effective learning environments, and ensuring ethical considerations when using AI in education.
Suggested computer proficiency: Intermediate
The course will help the participants to:
- Understand the benefits and ethical considerations of using AI in the classroom;
- Familiarise yourself with various AI tools and applications available for education;
- Acquire skills using Chat GPT, AI assessment, and quest-based learning for languages and receive personalized feedback;
- Gain the ability to integrate AI tools into lessons and activities to enhance student engagement and learning outcomes;
- Learn the best practices for implementing AI in the classroom, including the design of a student contract for AI-generated content;
- Boost self-confidence in using AI to support student learning and growth.
These learning outcomes aim to provide participants with a comprehensive understanding of the role of AI in education and the skills to effectively use AI tools in the classroom.
Day 1 – Introduction to Artificial Intelligence in Education
- Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities;
- Icebreaker activities;
- Presentations of the participants’ schools;
- Overview of AI in the classroom and its benefits.
Day 2 – Chat GPT for language learning
- Hands-on experience with using chat GPT for language practice and conversation simulations;
- Strategies for integrating chat GPT into language lessons.
Day 3 – Al assessment and feedback tools
- Overview of AI assessment tools and how they can be used to provide personalized feedback;
- Hands-on experience with AI assessment tools and how to use them in the classroom.
Day 4 – Ethics and AI in education
- Discussing the ethical considerations surrounding the use of AI in education;
- Debating the pros and cons of using AI-generated content in student assignments.
Day 5 – Designing a student contract for Al-Generated Content
- Creating a student contract that outlines the guidelines and expectations for using AI-generated content in assignments;
- Strategies for implementing the student contract in the classroom;
- Final thoughts.
Day 6 – Course closure and cultural activities
- Course evaluation: round-up of acquired competencies, feedback, and discussion;
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance;
- Excursion and other external cultural activities.