In the evolving educational landscape, schools, teachers, and students are navigating the challenges of fostering active civic engagement and understanding of democratic processes, both locally and within the broader European Union context.
The necessity to embed a culture of active participation in democratic life from an early age is paramount to ensuring informed, engaged citizens in the future.
The primary objective of this course is to introduce participants to the principles of active democratic participation and global citizenship education, to enhance their understanding and engagement with the democratic processes of the European Union.
This course will elucidate the link between global citizenship, civic engagement, and active participation in democratic life, fostering a deeper comprehension of the EU’s political and social contexts.
During the course, participants will engage in a variety of activities aimed at exploring the core principles of democratic participation, understanding the EU’s democratic processes, and fostering civic engagement. Through the analysis of real-world case studies, interactive discussions, and practical exercises, participants will delve into the concept of global citizenship as a pathway to enhancing democratic engagement.
Additionally, collaborative projects will provide an avenue for participants to apply the principles learned in a practical, classroom-centric manner, encouraging the integration of democratic participation principles into their curriculum.
By the end of the course, participants will have acquired the skills and knowledge necessary to foster a culture of active democratic participation among their students.
They will be equipped with practical strategies and resources to integrate the principles of global citizenship and democratic engagement into their teaching practices.
This newly acquired competence will empower participants to contribute actively to building a culture of informed civic engagement within their educational communities, addressing the initial challenges faced by schools, teachers, and students in navigating the democratic landscape.
The course will help the participants to:
- Understand the principles of active democratic participation and global citizenship education.
- Acquire strategies for fostering civic engagement among students.
- Gain insights into the EU’s democratic processes and how they can be explored in a classroom setting.
- Develop practical skills for integrating democratic participation principles into their curriculum.
- Enhance their ability to contribute to building a culture of informed civic engagement within their educational communities.
Day 1 – Introduction to Democratic Participation and Global Citizenship
- Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities;
- Icebreaker activities;
- Presentations of the participants’ schools.
Day 2 – Understanding EU’s Democratic Processes
- Explore the historical evolution of the EU’s democratic processes;
- Discuss the current state of democracy in the EU;
- Analyse case studies on civic engagement within the EU.
Day 3- Fostering Civic Engagement through Global Citizenship Education
- Introduce the concept of global citizenship and its importance in democratic engagement;
- Discuss strategies for promoting civic engagement in the classroom;
- Group activity on designing civic engagement projects for students.
Day 4 – Practical Strategies for Classroom Integration
- Workshop on integrating democratic participation principles into the curriculum;
- Share and discuss resources for teaching global citizenship and democratic participation;
- Peer review of lesson plans incorporating democratic participation principles.
Day 5 – Collaborative Projects and Real-World Applications
- Group projects on real-world applications of democratic participation and global citizenship principles;
- Presentations of group projects;
- Reflection and feedback session on the group projects.
Day 6 – Course closure and cultural activities
- Course evaluation: round-up of acquired competencies, feedback, and discussion;
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance;
- Excursion and other external cultural activities.