Concept by: Federica Di Bartolomeo
This wide-ranging course encompasses all aspects of the inclusive classroom, discussing how to manage a multicultural, mixed-ability, diverse classroom including minorities and students with varying educational needs. In the modern classroom, it is an essential skill for teachers to be able to identify and deliver unique learning solutions, and to adapt traditional teaching techniques to the needs of their students, ensuring universal access to the curriculum.
The focus of the course will be threefold:
- How to shape lessons and the learning environment in order to establish complete equality in access to education for all students, whilst developing a crucial understanding in students of the need for democratic and non-discriminatory values;
- How to use simple ICT tools to empower all students in an inclusive environment and also develop their intercultural awareness in the increasingly diverse contemporary classroom;
- How to promote collaborative learning and prepare teachers for future European and international projects.
The course will help the participants to understand how to:
- Manage a culturally diverse classroom;
- Ensure equal access to the curriculum to students of all abilities;
- Develop an understanding in students of critical modern-day democratic values;
- Use ICT tools to empower students and develop intercultural awareness;
- Promote collaborative learning on international projects;
- Promote schools’ European cooperation projects.
The schedule describes likely activities but may differ significantly based on the requests of the participants, and the trainer delivering the specific session. Course modifications are subject to the trainer’s discretion. If you would like to discuss a specific topic, please indicate it at least 4 weeks in advance.
Day 1 – Introduction to the inclusive classroom
- Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities.
- Icebreaker activities.
- Presentations of the participants’ schools.
The inclusive Classroom
Inclusive education and inclusive school: an overview of the various differences that can be present in a classroom.
Day 2 – Diversity and multiculturalism
Understanding and managing a multicultural classroom. The notion of “diversity” and the values needed in order to understand and cope with this diversity. How to approach students about the ideas of discrimination and minorities, raising their intercultural awareness.
Day 3 – Equal opportunities
How to respect and exploit all the different students’ needs and abilities; applying the concept of equality into the lesson, giving everybody the opportunity to learn and succeed, in school and life, regardless of their emotional, physical and social particular condition.
Day 4 – Importance of ICT
ICT as a positive resource: how to implement ICT tools in order to raise awareness about the diversity and build a more inclusive learning environment.
Day 5 – Forward thinking
The school for the future: learn how to promote International projects and include the classroom into European educational activities. Collaborative work.
Day 6 – Course closure & excursion
- Course evaluation: round up of acquired competences, feedback, and discussion;
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance.
- Excursion and other external cultural activities.