In today’s ever-evolving landscape of educational technology, immersive experiences are revolutionizing learning methodologies, presenting an exciting frontier for educators and institutions.
Teachers and educators are now delving into the immense potential of immersive technologies, recognizing the prospect of education’s future resting in the convergence of reality and virtuality, and providing students with profound and captivating learning opportunities.
This course is ideal for educators and youth workers who are interested in using Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) in teaching and learning.
During the course, participants will get hands-on experience in creating VR and AR applications, all through the dynamic Unity platform. They will learn how to make video games and see how game-like elements can make learning more fun and engaging for students.
By the end of the course, participants will have acquired the ability to develop video games using the Unity platform, explore the realms of VR, AR, and Extended Reality (XR), and test their creations using state-of-the-art equipment such as the Oculus Rift S.
Whether you are new to this field or have some experience, this course offers a mix of practical skills and fresh ideas for modern education.
The course will help participants to:
- Understand the concept of Gamification, its significance in learning environments, its operational mechanism, and potential limitations;
- Gain proficiency in the eight foundational principles of gamified learning;
- Develop skills in designing video games using the Unity engine;
- Acquire knowledge on selecting and implementing VR and AR equipment in classrooms;
- Master the art of designing immersive VR simulations with Unity;
- Build expertise in crafting Augmented Reality applications using Unity for diverse learning environments.
Day 1 – Introduction to gamification
- Introduction to gamification: its importance, functionality, and drawbacks;
- Exploring the eight gamified learning principles essential for educators;
- Discussion on gamification examples and their potential to enrich learning.
Day 2 – 3D video game design fundamentals
- Explore game design fundamentals and their implementation;
- Basics of the Unity Platform for video game creation;
- Hands-on session: Crafting two 3D video games.
Day 3 – Introduction to VR and AR
- Exploration of VR, AR, and Mixed Reality: differences, similarities, and situational best uses;
- Discussing the ideal VR/AR equipment for classrooms and activities;
- Experience various VR applications, emphasizing the Oculus Rift S.
Day 4 – VR development
- VR application design, focusing on challenges like motion sickness using Unity;
- Master VR development by creating a sandbox platformer and testing on Oculus Rift S.
Day 5 – AR application for the classroom
- Explore AR applications suitable for classrooms;
- Understand AR content targeting diverse learners;
- Incorporating AR in various subjects: Geography, History, Math, Biology, and Art;
- Designing an AR app for tablets and smartphones with Unity.
Day 6 – Course closure and cultural activities
- Course evaluation: round-up of acquired competencies, feedback, and discussion;
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance;
- Excursion and other external cultural activities.