Concept by: Michele Di Paola
SUGGESTED COMPUTER PROFICIENCY: INTERMEDIATE
Minecraft is a best-seller videogame, still able to engage kids in hours of passionate gameplay after many years on the market: someone calls it the digital LEGO of our times. What if this huge interest and commitment could be used also for learning and education? A playful learning experience is more likely to be enjoyed and remembered in the long term.
This training course will teach you to exploit Minecraft (Java Edition) to design situated learning episodes for your classroom. You will learn to create and manage your own game server, and how to use Minecraft to teach and learn a variety of subjects. For example, we will see how to create 3D models and build your game-worlds; how to install new features in the game; and how to create in-game automatic non-playing characters (NPCs) to give lessons, ask quizzes and give prize items to players for correct answers. The course will also illustrate the differences between the Java Edition of Minecraft and the new Minecraft: Education Edition by Microsoft.
By the end of the course, you will master all the core features of Minecraft to use it as a powerful educational tool. Moreover, you will know how to show to your students to improve their overall gaming experience in Minecraft, thus creating a bridge between learning at school and playing at home in the same digital environment.
Participants to the Minecraft for Education course will learn to:
- Create and manage their own game server to host their worlds on Minecraft;
- Create 3D models and build your game-worlds as you prefer on Minecraft;
- Create in-game automatic non-playing characters (NPCs) on Minecraft;
- Learn how to use automatic robot-turtles and give them instructions through coding, to build whatever you like on Minecraft;
- Understand the basic principles of (video) game-based learning;
- Applying non-formal learning to video game-based learning;
- Debate computational thinking.
- Teachers & school staff: primary level;
- Teachers & school staff: secondary level;
- Teachers & school staff: special needs.
Head teacher of ICT Courses: Iacopo Falciani
Do you want to take more than one course? Build your own 2-week Course!
Is there any doubt you want to clarify? Contact us (email@example.com or by Facebook); we will try to answer all your questions as soon as possible.