Concept by: Marta Mandolini
During this course participants, will discover the most relevant educational approaches for children that emerged in Europe from the 20th century onwards.
Waldorf (Steiner) education, the Montessori Method and Loris Malaguzzi’s Reggio Emilia method will be discussed in an interactive way. This will include comparing the different theories and involving participants in an active reflection about their way of teaching and the importance of the child being the protagonist of his/her development. A part of the course will be dedicated to Bruno Munari’s method “Playing with Art”. A short introduction about the alternative Catalan non-directive education panorama will also be included, as well as an overview on Positive Education and Positive Psychology.
The outcome of all of this, is the activation of a thought-provoking learning process. Participants will practice critical and creative thinking skills, inspired by the alternative methods mentioned above. Independence, freedom, creativity, child-centered, respect, global development are the keywords of the course. At the end, participants will have the chance to create a project for their school that incorporates the knowledge acquired, following a Design Thinking process.
The course will help the participants to:
- Acquire knowledge about Waldorf (Steiner) education, Montessori Method, Reggio Emilia approach, Bruno Munari’s method “Playing with Art”, Positive Education;
- Learn how children can be protagonists of their psychological, social, and physical – development;
- Learn how to set a positive and responsive relationship with children inspired by the different methods;
- Foster your critical and creative thinking;
- Be able to evaluate and integrate elements of the different approaches in your school.
The schedule describes likely activities but may differ significantly based on the requests of the participants, and the trainer delivering the specific session. Course modifications are subject to the trainer’s discretion. If you would like to discuss a specific topic, please indicate it at least 4 weeks in advance.
Day 1 – Course introduction & Preschool approaches
- Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities.
- Icebreaker activities using drama for trust and ensemble building.
- Identification of needs and goals for each participant and relevant populations.
- Approaches on learning in preschool education (montessori, steiner, reggio emilia, catalan no directive education, positive education). Swot analysis for teachers
- Presentations of the participants’ schools.
Day 2 – Preschool approaches
Approaches on learning in preschool education (montessori, steiner, reggio emilia, catalan no directıve education, positive education). Role play.
Day 3 – Bruno Munari method
Bruno Munari method.groups activity: life skills education through art from early age
Day 4 – Learning approaches
Approaches on learning in preschool education (montessori, steiner, reggio emilia, catalan no directive education, positive education). Role play.
Day 5 – Final project
- Final school project / design thinking for school. Conclusions and certificates.
Day 6 – Course closure & Cultural activities
- Course evaluation: round up of acquired competences, feedback, and discussion;
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance;
Excursion and other external cultural activities.
- Teachers (primary, secondary, vocational, adult, special needs);
- Teacher trainers;
- Careers officers, educational guides and counsellors;
- Managers of schools/organisations offering adult education;
- Other (paid or voluntary) management staff in the institution/organisation.
If you like this course, you may also like our online courses: