SUGGESTED COMPUTER PROFICIENCY: INTERMEDIATE
This course is designed for teachers who would like to further their knowledge on the use of Tablets, Educational Apps and Social Media in class and to experiment new, easy and enjoyable tools to use with their students.
Participants will discover some of the most popular and practical educational apps for teaching and student learning across a wider range of subjects. They will learn how to properly integrate these apps in the classroom as a tool to support their learning.
Teachers will be provided with a wide range of practical teaching activities to enable them to make their classes more effective. Teachers will also learn about safe use of social media, student versus teacher roles and digital classroom management.
By the end of the course, teachers will have acquired more knowledge about using Apps and Social Media as an educational tool, enhance student engagement and improve communication among students and teachers. Guided city tours and 1 full day cultural excursion (usually on the first Saturday) will also be part of the programme.
The course will help the participants to:
- Use social media platforms as teaching tools, allowing interaction, motivation and engagement in class;
- Develop communication abilities among teachers and students, as well as, fostering the sharing of ideas and teaching material;
- Manage a virtual classroom sending assignments, creating quizzes, developing learning strategies and using new ICT-based teaching methodologies;
- Use different educational apps in class, providing students with the best learning experience.
- Acquire a general overview of the many educational possibilities of using educational apps and the motivational dimension brought to the classroom when using them.
- Be able to choose the most suitable ones according to students’ needs.
- Master of social media, games and quiz apps;
- Foster students’ creativity and improve studying techniques using apps.
- Apps to structure information, to better analyze, comprehend, synthesize, recall and generate new ideas.
The schedule describes likely activities but may differ significantly based on the requests of the participants, and the trainer delivering the specific session. Course modifications are subject to the trainer’s discretion. If you would like to discuss a specific topic, please indicate it at least 4 weeks in advance.
Day 1 – Course introduction & technology in the classroom
- Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities.
- Icebreaker activities using drama for trust and ensemble building.
- Identification of needs and goals for each participant and relevant populations.
Technology in the classroom
- What technologies do you use in your classroom? How to integrate Mobile Devices into your lessons; Pair and group work activities.
- Presentations of the participants’ schools.
Day 2 – Devices
Laptops, Tablets, Smartphones in the Classroom. Different tools on different kinds of devices? Activities, reflections and questions.
Day 3 – ICT in the class
How to use ICTs in class: hand-on activities. Introducing a set of web platforms and apps that will make your lessons more entertaining and interactive.
Day 4 – Game-based learning
Quizzes and educational games: Learning through game-based platforms.
Day 5 – Cooperative learning
Web storage of teaching materials; Cooperative Learning through mobile devices.
Day 6 – Cultural activities
Excursion and other external cultural activities.
Day 7 – Rest day
Day 8 – Second week introduction
Pair and group work activities; Social technologies in the classrooms; Reflection and questions.
Day 9 – Communicating via social media
Social Media for communication: what to use, how to use it. Practicing Edmodo. Activities, reflection and questions.
Day 10 – Sharing photos
Social photo sharing; Conveying, transferring and creating knowledge in visual ways; Activities, reflection and questions.
Day 11 – Social communication
Searching, Sorting and Sharing video for educational purposes.
Day 12 – Being safe online
Developing an e-Safe classroom; Encourage students to be digitally literate as well as safe and responsible social users; Reflection and questions; Conclusions, Discussion, course evaluation and certificate ceremony.
Day 13 – Course closure & cultural activities
- Course evaluation: round up of acquired competences, feedback, and discussion.
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance.
- Excursion and other external cultural activities.
- Teachers (primary, secondary, vocational, adult, special needs);
- Teacher trainers;
- Managers of schools.