Concept by: Francesco Molinari
During this course, participants will discover the functioning of the dual training system in Germany, an educational system that has been successfully implemented for several years with growing effectiveness.
A dual course of study is a combined educational system that integrates university studies with vocational training or professional practice in companies and enterprises. In contrast to internships and part-time studies, a dual course of study is characterized by the fact that the professional and vocational elements are an integral part of the degree program.
By the end of this course, participants will have a full understanding of this successful educational method as well as awareness concerning the importance of integrating theory and practice in the educational system.
|The course will help the participants to:|
- Understand how the dual system works and which are the aims of this educational program;
- Get a clearer perception concerning the activities and the implementation of the program;
- Understand how the deployment of the dual system contributes to reducing the unemployment rate and the school dropout;
- Understand how the collaboration between companies and educational institutions improves educational skills;
- Implement the dual system abroad and how to adapt it to the different educational environments;
The schedule describes likely activities but may differ significantly based on the requests of the participants, and the trainer delivering the specific session. Course modifications are subject to the trainer’s discretion. If you would like to discuss a specific topic, please indicate it at least 4 weeks in advance.
Day 1 – Course introduction & Intro to the dual system of vocational education
- Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities.
- Icebreaker activities using drama for trust and ensemble building.
- Identification of needs and goals for each participant and relevant populations.
Intro to the dual system of vocational education
- description of the fundamentals of the dual system of vocational education and training in Germany and looking at some practical experiences.
- Presentations of the participants’ schools.
Day 2 – Encompassing learning methods
The advantages of integrating theoretical study and practical training in education, looking at peculiar training programs.
Day 3 – Positives of the dual system
How the dual system positively influences the labour market and contributes to seek the unemployment rate, illustration of successful examples.
Day 4 – Evaluating results of activities
Competences and prerequisites to achieve a successful training experience, how to evaluate the results of training activities on students, workshop: selection and evaluation methods for students applying for dual system.
Day 5 – Introducing the dual system abroad
How to implement the dual system abroad, discussion about similar programs in other countries, workshop: how to introduce the dual system in the framework of different educational programs.
Day 6 – Course closure & Cultural activities
- Course evaluation: round up of acquired competences, feedback, and discussion;
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance;
Excursion and other external cultural activities.
- Teachers (primary, secondary, vocational, adult, special needs);
- Teacher trainers;
- Careers officers, educational guides and counselors;
- Managers of schools/organisations offering adult education.