In this course participants will become familiar with the basics of positive education, focusing on its theories and techniques. During this class, participants are introduced to some simple mindfulness exercises that they can use in their own classes, and of course in their personal life.
Building on your pupils’ strengths is an important strategy to guide their learning process and to foster a positive atmosphere in class. Teachers gain advice on how to talk to pupils about strengths and explore the best ways to praise your pupils’ efforts and achievements. During this class, participants engage in hands-on activities to identify their pupil’s (and their own) strengths.
Participants will also learn about ‘Finnish Schools on the Move’, a national action program aiming to establish a physical-activity culture in Finnish schools. In this course, participants are introduced to the basics of the program and engage in some hands-on activities. They learn how to include physical activity in the school curriculum and how to increase their pupils’ participation.
At the end of the course, participants will have the opportunity to plan their own personal well-being project that they can share with their colleagues once they return to their schools.
Concept by: Mirjami Junnikkala
The course will help the participants to:
- Learn simple meditation exercises;
- Understand their own strengths and how to teach build on pupils’ strengths;
- Learn how to increase physical activity during the school day;
- Become familiar with the basics of positive pedagogy;
- Develop their self-knowledge;
- Create their own well-being plan for your class.
Day 1 – Course introduction & setting goals
- Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities;
- Icebreaker activities using drama for trust and ensemble building.
- Identification of needs and goals for each participant and relevant populations;
- The Finnish national curriculum in the nutshell;
- Presentations of the participants’ schools.
Day 2 – Positive education
- Mindfulness in schools;
- Positive Education;
- Strengths-Based Classroom.
Day 3 – Finnish schools
- Finnish Schools on the move;
- Student participation in Finnish schools;
Day 4 – Project planning
- Planning your own wellbeing project.
Day 5 – Overview
- Summary of the course.
Day 6 – Course Closure & Excursion
- Course evaluation: round up of acquired competences, feedback, and discussion;
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance;
- Excursion and other external cultural activities.