This course has been created for teachers who want to learn more about managing an effective and up-to-date classroom that encourages participation and engaged learning using creativity and the latest classroom tools.
If you are an instructor interested in meeting students’ needs and eager to involve your pupils in learning, this course is what you are probably looking for. If you are an educator struggling to invent new strategies to enhance learning, this course is definitely for you!
Participants will get hands-on experience of ICT in education and will learn how to enhance both students’ soft skills and their critical and creative thinking. Through interactive and engaging activities participants will also learn how to boost motivation, establish classroom rules, provide clear instructions, monitor, develop rapport, incorporate pair and group work, assess complex skills.
By the end of the course, participants will have gained greater insight into what makes a classroom run smoothly, and will enjoy having a set of concrete ideas on how to apply new teaching strategies to boost high-order skills in today’s students. Guided city tours and 1 full-day cultural excursion (usually on the first Saturday) will also be part of the program.
The course will help the participants to:
- Understand how to motivate students with problem-solving and creative thinking based tasks;
- Develop student-centered exercises and activities;
- Motivate learners and get them to reflect on their behavior;
- Give clear instructions, organize pair and group work, and develop positive relationships;
- Deal with difficult behaviors by working on collaborative solutions;
- Organize and plan for a Flipped Classroom experience;
- Assess students and provide feedback using portfolios, rubrics, and other forms;
- Acquire a general overview of the many educational possibilities of using online tools and the motivational dimension brought to the classroom when using them;
- Search for audiovisual contents on platforms for education and be able to choose the most suitable ones according to students’ needs;
- Effectively engage students with visual thinking methodologies.
Day 1 – Course introduction & setting goals
- Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities;
- Icebreaker activities using drama for trust and ensemble building.
- Identification of needs and goals for each participant and relevant populations;
- Key Competences in Schools and Learning Styles;
- Presentations of the participants’ schools.
Day 2 – Get creative
- Motivation and Serious Games;
- Creative Thinking and Mapping.
Day 3 – Visual resources in education: VTS
- Looking for online visual materials: Google, Youtube, Wordclouds;
- Learning how to exploit audiovisual resources for educational purposes.
Day 4 – Assessment strategies
- Managing pair and group work;
- Types of Assessment (teacher, p2p, self);
- Portfolios and online tools.
Day 5 – Presentations and feedback
- How can everyone evaluate and provide feedback;
- Round up of abilities and competencies acquired;
- Class discussion of personal cases and brainstorming of possible strategies.
Day 6 – Round up & cultural activities
- Excursion and other external cultural activities.
Day 7 – Rest day
- Day off.
Day 8 – Classroom management techniques
- Dealing with typical classroom management problems and techniques to solve them;
- Establishing classroom rules with logical consequences providing clear and concise instructions.
Day 9 – Examples and case studies
- Managing and monitoring pair and group work;
- Looking at typical classroom management case studies and get practical tools in order to maintain a student-centered classroom;
- Asking students to reflect on their behavior by using behavior rubrics.
Day 10 – Vision and mission statements
- Working on Vision and Mission statements with Classroom Management in mind;
- Looking at our own classroom management behaviors as teachers;
- Assessment: Rubrics and Portfolios;
- Creating and managing a Flipped Classroom lesson.
Day 11 – Motivation
- But is it really all about motivation? New methodologies for learning enhancement;
- Enhancing Creativity through ICT tools (hands-on activity).
Day 12 – Cooperative learning & course closure
- Cooperative Learning;
- Course evaluation: round up of acquired competences, feedback, and discussion;
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance.