Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) and safety skills education strengthen children’s self-esteem, self-awareness, and self-respect. It promotes children’s interaction skills, and supports relationships with others. Children learn how to act in difficult situations, and how to defend their own boundaries and respect those of others.
Digital media has become a vital part of our everyday life, and young children use various types of devices to connect to the Internet. So, it’s the adults’ responsibility to make sure that every child has a safe environment. It’s important to learn how to navigate safely in the digital world.
Children and young people need more skills and information. The aim of safety skills education is to prevent bullying, harassment, and violence against children and young people, both face to face and in digital environments. In this course, you’ll learn what are safety skills and how to teach them.
EdTech solutions are often associated with teaching children hard skills, like programming. During this course, you’ll learn some simple ways in which digital apps, platforms and EdTech can foster SEL (Social Emotional Learning).
In this course, the participants will get to know new ways to develop their pupils’ wellbeing, safety, and social skills in learning environments, as well as in digital environments. They’ll also strengthen their own self-awareness and self-confidence. Teacher’s social-emotional skills are important for helping children avoid burnout, increase well-being, and create a positive learning environment.
Participants will also learn some tips and techniques to develop their socio-emotional skills. In this course, you’ll learn by doing, sharing, and brainstorming with other participants.
SUGGESTED COMPUTER PROFICIENCY: BASIC
Concept by: Mirjami Junnikkala
The course will help the participants to:
- Get to know the basics of SEL;
- Get familiar with the elements of the safety skills;
- Learn how to use EdTech to foster SEL;
- Strengthen your own safety skills;
- Develop social and emotional skills to increase well-being;
- Create lesson plans.
Day 1 – Introduction to the course and setting goals
- Introduction to the course, the school, and the external week activities;
- Icebreaker activities;
- Presentations of the participants’ schools;
- Goal setting for the week;
- Me as a teacher, SWOT -analysis.
Day 2 – Finnish EdTech in SEL
- Finland is the happiest country in the world, why?
- Getting to know SEL skills;
- EdTech in SEL, How can EdTech support social and emotional learning.
Day 3 – What are safety skills?
- Elements of safety skills education;
- Digital safety skills.
Day 4 – Lessons planning
- Teacher’s own social-emotional skills to manage stress, avoid burnout, and increase well-being;
- Creating lesson plans.
Day 5 – Sharing lesson plans and discussion
- Sharing lesson plans, feedback, and discussion;
- Learning café about the topics of the week.
Day 6 – Course closure & cultural activities
- Course evaluation: round-up of acquired competencies, feedback, and discussion;
- Awarding of the course Certificate of Attendance;
- Excursion and other external cultural activities.