Program in collaboration with www.tesoldrama.org.
Discussion is one of the most effective and frequently used teaching methodologies in classrooms today. This course provides specific tools for teachers to activate, facilitate, and dig deeper into more meaningful discussions that lead to learning. This course is based on Stephen Brookfield and Stephen Preskill’s landmark book Discussion as a Way of Teaching: Tools and Techniques for Democratic Classrooms, Carl Rogers’ pioneering work in the field of Active Listening, and Marshal Rosenberg’s renowned methods for Non-Violent Communication.
Team-taught by instructors Marisol Santana, EdD and José Angel Santana, PhD, they will bring their extensive experience in the fields of interpersonal communication skills training; conversation for language learners; and dialoguing techniques; in a way that encourages participants to investigate and practice discussion activities that are in accord with their own specific teaching contexts.
Teachers will learn to energize discussions that will improve student engagement, develop critical thinking skills, and deepen understanding and appreciation for diverse views.
Instructors will provide discussion tools and model exercises to enliven classrooms and ensure that all voices are heard, by demonstrating ways for listening and responding to one another with empathy so that all students’ values and needs are respected.
Find out our upcoming confirmed courses here;
- Stimulate more meaningful and engaging discussions in the classroom while ensuring that all students are heard.
- Develop their students’ critical thinking skills and ability to articulate an informed understanding on different topics.
- Cultivate empathy amongst their students while fostering an appreciation for different perspectives.
- Model and facilitate deeper listening skills resulting in improved collaboration, group dynamics, and collective learning.
- Teachers: primary, secondary, vocational, adult, special needs;
- Teacher trainers;
- Careers officers, educational guides and counsellors;
- Managers of schools.